TamilNadu, 27/3:In a tragic incident, at least 11 persons, including three minors, were electrocuted after a temple chariot came in contact with a high-voltage power line in Kalimedu village in Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu in the early hours of Wednesday.
As many as 12 persons suffered injuries out of which four are said to be critical. Preliminary inquiry suggests that the incident took place at around 3 am when the night-long procession was in the final stages as the cart decorated with flowers and serial lights was returning to the temple.
The village is 4 km from Thanjavur which is 340 km from capital Chennai.
“While the procession came near the temple, the chariot came in contact with a high-voltage power line leading to the accident. It went up in flames,” a senior police officer said. While 10 persons, who stood close to the chariot, were charred to death at the spot, one person died on the way to hospital