ECB to ban Cricketers who post Objectionable Content on Social Media

0

UK, 12/6 (AO Bureau): England cricketers will not be able to post objectionable posts on social media. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will review the social media accounts of its players, which could lead to disciplinary sanctions on players for their offensive posts. The ECB had earlier suspended fast bowler Ollie Robinson over the racist tweets he made in 2012-13.
These tweets surfaced during his debut for England in the drawn first Test against New Zealand at Lord’s last week, leading to an uproar. After this the debate about racism in the game started again. Robinson has been suspended pending the investigation as the ECB is investigating another player’s objectionable tweet.
The ECB said in a statement, “The Board has agreed to the executive’s recommendation for a social media review, in which any past issues will be settled.” Players will be further reminded of their personal responsibilities and they will be helped to learn lessons at the same time. A meeting of the ECB board was held on Wednesday.
“The ECB was clear that this process would not protect us from further disciplinary action in the future, if necessary, but expressed hope that the game could emerge stronger from this difficult time,” the board said. And the Professional Cricketers’ Association will all be involved.
ECB President Ian Whatmore reiterated the Board’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity. “Making cricket the game of all is central to the strategy of the ‘inspiring generation’ of the game,” he said. As a national governing body, we must take the middle ground to help project an image, educate them about what is expected of them and give them the space to express themselves publicly. We should also investigate their action and punish them if they fall short of it.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.